No matter how you look at it, natural herbs and vitamins will always be better for treating the thing like depression and anxiety that require continuous medication.
As you may know, many studies have linked clinical depression with lower levels of neurotransmitters such as dopamine along with norepinephrine and serotonin.
These put together with a lack of natural vitamins and a hormonal imbalance leads to many illnesses such as insomnia, irritable bowel, hormone dysfunction, eating disorders and so on and so forth.
Amino acids are obtained from the protein in your diet and are then used to make the above-mentioned neurotransmitters. So, there is a direct relation between the two. Meaning a lack of amino acids means fewer neurotransmitters which in turn will cause a hormonal imbalance to begin with and then get progressively worse from there.
How to increase dopamine with supplements?
• L-Tyrosine: this is a dopamine booster. Can be taken naturally through your diet containing meats, eggs, and fishes, or manufactured in the body. This will enhance your mood and emotional states, as well as sleep and mental functions.
• Mucuna: known as velvet bean, it naturally contains about 5% L-Dopa (levodopa) which is a biochemical made in humans and is then used to synthesize dopamine.
• L-theanine: found normally in green tea, it increases the dopamine levels in the brain. It helps deal with stressful situations by reducing physical and mental stress as well as anti-anxiety and depression effects.
• Using tea for depression is a great natural way to alleviate the symptoms naturally. Chamomile also comes in very handy under stress-inducing situations along with green tea, as both contain natural biochemical that help produces the essential neurotransmitters.
• Vitamins for mental health are also essential and cannot be ignored. Vitamins such as vitamin B6 and folate necessary for dopamine synthesis and neurotransmission.
• Certain minerals are also very important and needed for proper dopamine synthesis. Zinc and magnesium for depression are very important. They might be in inadequate supply, to begin with because of a lack of a proper diet or might be depleted due to certain medications and toxic environmental exposures. So supplements containing these minerals and vitamins are essential for everyone and their supply must be continued whether that is naturally through your diet or via supplements, otherwise, your body’s ability to synthesize and other important neurotransmitters might be compromised.
But you must be careful while taking any supplements as too much of anything is not good. Only take one supplement at a time and avoid them like the plague if you are already taking any antidepressants or antipsychotic drugs.
Consult a healthcare physician to make sure that combining any type of supplements and drugs won’t cause any adverse side effects.
The best place to get these supplements, vitamins, and minerals is through iherb.com. They have an ongoing system where all new customers get discount vouchers that might give as much as a 40% discount on certain products.